Metal roofs have long been popular for farm buildings and storage facilities. However, metal roofing is becoming increasingly popular with other types of business owners, including those with office buildings and retail outlets. It's easy to see why. Metal roofing is durable, attractive and is impervious to things like insects and mold that can compromise other types of roofing. Here are six reasons to choose metal roofing:
1. Aesthics. One of the chief benefits to metal roofing is its sleek, distinctive, modern look. Metal roofing comes in a variety of colors, from bright red and orange to muted mauve and dark green.
2. Durability. The average metal roof can last between 40 and 80 years. That compares to around 20 years for a typical asphalt shingle roof. When you invest in a metal roof, you won't have to worry about replacing your roof again for decades.
3. Fire resistance. Unlike other types of roofing, such as cedar shake and asphalt shingles, metal roofing doesn't burn. Because of this, it can help to contain a fire and give the occupants extra time to get out of a burning building. In addition, many insurance companies offer discounts on fire insurance premiums to businesses that invest in metal roofing.
4. Water resistance. While, roofing materials like wooden and asphalt shingles can warp, rot or get moldy from prolonged exposure to water or heavy storms, that water runs right off of metal roofing.
5. Eco-friendliness. The long lifespan of metal roofing helps to keep excess roofing material from entering America's landfills, making it kind to the environment. In addition, since heat isn't absorbed by metal roofing as it can be with asphalt roofs, you'll save money on your summer cooling bills. Without that extra heat entering the top of your building, your cooling system won't have to work as hard to maintain an even temperature.
6. Insect resistance. Insects like ants and termites that can quickly compromise a wooden or even an asphalt shingle roof have no interest in metal roofing. This will not only help your roof to last longer, but will prevent wood-eating insects from moving on to your rafters and building joists.
While metal roofing may not be right choice for every business, this type of roofing is extremely durable and it gives any building a sleek, modern look. For more information, talk to a commercial roofing professional in your area.